To apply for a marriage license, both parties must follow these instructions:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Appear together in City Clerk’s office
- Show valid photo identification
- Pay $40 application fee. Cash, check and credit cards are acceptable. (A bank fee is applicable when paying with a credit card.)
- There is a mandatory three day waiting period between the date the Notice of Intention is filed and the date the license can be issued, unless a court waiver is applied for. (See below)
- The marriage license is valid in Massachusetts for sixty days from the date the Notice of Intention is filed. A three day waiting period between the filing of a Notice of Intention to marry and the issuance of a marriage license is applicable, unless otherwise waived in court. More information can be obtained about the waiver from the City Clerk’s office.
Secretary of State Authorizations:
If a friend or family member will be performing the ceremony, or the officiant is not from Massachusetts, they must obtain authorization from the Massachusetts Secretary of State’s Office prior to the ceremony.
- File Notice of Intention with City Clerk’s Office first
- Application for a Court Waiver can be filed at either of the following locations, with the applicable fee to be paid at the respective court house:
- Probate and Family Court – 289 Rock Street, 3rd floor, Fall River, 508-672-1751
- Second District Court – 186 South Main St, Fall River, 508-491-3235
- More information can be found at this link: Marriage without delay
When applying for a marriage license, please plan accordingly and give yourself sufficient time to be able to complete the documents within the office hours of Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Office staff can be reached at 508-324-2220 during these hours and assist with further questions.